Monday, August 10, 2015

“Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger”


“Whatever doesn't kill you really does make you stronger”

 

We have all heard the statement above. We have all probably said it.

It is true. PROVIDED, we actually learn from that thing, that situation, that circumstance. It is when we don’t learn anything from it that the strength to face a similar thing again – won’t be there.  It doesn’t mean that we will walk out of a situation, a life transition, a tragedy without a scar or two, a few bruises, or maybe even a long period of recovery. But it does mean that if we walk, run, limp, crawl, or are even carried out of a situation we CAN become stronger. So the above statement isn’t really true. It would be if it read – “Whatever doesn’t kill you CAN make you stronger.”  In fact, we would do well to actually remember that even in the midst of that trial, transition or tribulation.  That way even in the middle of it we can ask ourselves, “what can I take away from this.”

There is another point in this that even Christians mess up. I know you may have heard the statement – “God will never give you anything that you cannot handle.” Honestly I wish Christians would stop saying that.  Life will hand you situations, trials, tribulations, pains, hurts, etc. that will kill you. They will break you either inside or on the outside or both. Yes, God will allow things in life to overwhelm you, things that can defeat you.

Listen to the list of things Paul went through in 1 Corinthians 11:23-29

 

 Are they servants of Christ?—I speak as if insane—I more so; in far more labors, in far more imprisonments, beaten times without number, often in danger of death. Five times I received from the Jews thirty-nine lashes. Three times I was beaten with rods, once I was stoned, three times I was shipwrecked, a night and a day I have spent in the deep. I have been on frequent journeys, in dangers from rivers, dangers from robbers, dangers from my countrymen, dangers from the Gentiles, dangers in the city, dangers in the wilderness, dangers on the sea, dangers among false brethren; I have been in labor and hardship, through many sleepless nights, in hunger and thirst, often without food, in cold and exposure. Apart from such external things, there is the daily pressure on me of concern for all the churches. Who is weak without my being weak? Who is led into sin without my intense concern?

BUT LOOK WHAT HE SAID IN VERSE 30

If I have to boast, I will boast of what pertains to my weakness.

He never would say – “Look what I have done, look at all the stuff I defeated!” It was just the opposite. He would say that his weakness is what stood out. He didn’t boast about what he had done, but he would always boast that it was because of what Christ had done in him.

In Hebrews 3:6

“…but Christ was faithful as a Son over His house—whose house we are, if we hold fast our confidence and the boast of our hope firm until the end.”

Paul knew that in all the things that he went through, had it not been for the presence of Christ in his life, had it not been for his hope firmly on Christ he would have fallen, failed, surely not been strengthened.

BUT here is the thing YOU can have that same hope and confidence. The Bible promises this – “for He Himself has said, “I will never desert you, nor will I ever forsake you,” Hebrews 13:5

SO – today – let’s be honest. What you are going through very well could kill you. What you are going through could indeed cause you to come out weaker.   I want to encourage you to ask Christ for the strength to overcome this “thing.” In John 16 He told us we would have these kinds of troubles, but He also promised that since HE overcame, we could too.

And in Matthew 11:29“Take My yoke upon you and learn from Me, for I am gentle and humble in heart, and you will find rest for your souls.”

Let me give you two things to grab on to in the midst of this “thing” you might be in –

TRUST HIM

LEARN FROM HIM
COME OUT STONGER

No comments: